Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Four Meals- One Shopping Trip

I'm a big advocate for eating inexpensively, especially since I am usually feeding myself. While my roommates eat out 50 percent of the time, I prefer to cook at home. Even though I'm not the best cook, I take pride in how I am able to make multiple meals from several of the same ingredients. 

My favorite set of meals to make derive one common ingredient: a Rotisserie Chicken. You can find rotisserie chicken in just about any grocery store with a deli. They sell for about five to six dollars and there is enough meat to feed two to three people. However, by being smart about how you use the chicken, you can make the meat last for a week's worth of meals. I've learned that making meals with common ingredients you saves you money and time!

Below are several recipes you can make with with rotisserie chicken. When I buy my chicken I usually choose a traditional or herb seasoning for the recipes, but a lemon seasoning works great too! I'd recommend that you buy your chicken on a day that you have time to cook, so you are able to make the meals ahead of time.



________________________________________________________________________


Meal 1: Chicken and Rice

Amount of Chicken: Chicken Legs

This may be the simplest meal of them all. Cut the legs off of the rotisserie chicken and serve with rice and a vegetable. I personally recommend chicken flavored Rice a Roni and carrots and dip.






Meal 2: Chicken Soup

Amount of Chicken: A Chicken Breast and Wings
There's nothing like a light chicken soup, and using your rotisserie chicken you can make your own. Use the recipe below to make a quick and easy soup!






Ingredients:

1 chicken breast of rotisserie chicken
1/2 Bag of baby carrots
2 arms of celery
2 bouillon cubes
1/2- 1 box of small shell pasta


1. Fill a large pot full of water and bring it to a boil. Meanwhile, cut and break the rotisserie chicken into bite size pieces.

2. Once the water is at a boil,  bouillon cubes, carrots, celery, chicken as well as chicken skin for flavor.

3. Simmer for 30 to 60 minutes. While soup is cooking, cook small shell pasta.

4.  Finally, remove chicken skin, add salt and pepper to taste and add pasta to soup.




Meal 3: Chicken Salad


Amount of Chicken: As much chicken salad as you would like.
This meal isn't too complicated. All you need is mayo and celery. Chop the celery, mix in chicken and mayo to taste. Serve on toast or a bagel!







Meal 4: Chicken Chili


Amount of Chicken: About a chicken breast, or whatever chicken is left
This is a recipe for chicken chili. It is a recipe that my mom uses all the time and it's my favorite. It's awesome chili and perfect for a pot luck!









1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea! I always think that I am going to cook, but I get home from work or school and don't feel like it so I eat out. This is a quick and easy way to save money and get a good quality meal. Great Idea!! Thanks for sharing. I am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete