Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Meal for One Made Easy

Unlike many of my friends, I am not on a luxurious Spring Break trip. Instead I'm spending the week working in Peoria. However, I was able to go home for the weekend, before returning on Monday. Driving back to Peoria I knew my fridge was empty and I wouldn't last long without going to the grocery store.

 It has been only recently that I started shopping at Hyvee. And since I discovered their new Fuel Saver program, my visits have been more frequent. Monday after work I ran over to Aldi and Hyvee and that's when I discovered Hyvee's prepared meats section.

From marinated chicken to stuffed pork chops, Hyvee has a large variety to choose from. Because I often cook for myself, I was excited that there are several fresh meats available that not only spice up a meal, but would cut preparation time.

The best part is it was all inexpensive. Each marinated chicken breast was $1.67 (3 for $5), the stuffed pork chops were about $3 each. In addition there was also a large variety of twice baked potatoes for $1 each. I decided to try three different marinated chicken breast, italian, garlic butter and pesto parmesan seasoned. I also got a a cheddar bacon twice baked potato.

In addition to the prepared fresh meat, Hyvee also sells pre-made meals from their kitchen such as orange chicken and pasta salad. Depending on the meal and portion some items were inexpensive while others were more than what I would like to spend.

If you often cook for yourself, or are looking for something different to spice up your meals take a walk past the Hyvee butcher counter. You just might find something you like!

1 comment:

  1. Maddie- I shop at HyVee and I'm definitely going to try this out! I was appalled at some of the prices of meat, so I'm sure these smaller portions will be better for cooking for one.

    - Katie

    ReplyDelete