Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Happy Art

Dates are expensive. They don't always have to be, but when you're searching for something new and fun to do it often comes with a price tag.

Because I'm cheap, dates with my boyfriend are usually dinner out and renting a movie. While we often try new restaurants, it typically doesn't stray too far from that.

Last week we decided to try the Rhythm Kitchen for the first time. There is live jazz music after 6 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesdays, which was nice, but I wasn't impressed with my meal.

Regardless, on our way out we stopped to look in the window of an art studio in the same building. We were only stopped for a minute when a smaller, middle aged women came to the window and waved us in and we decide to explore.

The woman's name was Jody and she was the owner of the studio, The Hive. Even though there was a painting class in session, she brought us into the small studio and told us a little bit about her business.

The Hive is just a month old and is managed by Jody, who is retired. The Hive offers a variety of art lessons throughout the month. For just $35 you will receive materials as well as a two hour lesson. These lessons aren't just about the art of painting or sketching, The Hive offers lessons such as Cupcake Pop Art and a crafting lesson with wine corks.

Not only does the studio offer two hour lessons, it also has walk-in hours on Fridays which The Hive calls "Happy Art." During Happy Art hours, you can come into the studio and paint. For just $10 you receive a small canvass and paints and you can stay as long as you want and be creative.

For me the idea of a blank canvass is exciting. While my boyfriend, on the other hand, is doubtful of his creative abilities. We both agreed to come back soon for Happy Art and paint together. Even if you aren't on a date, painting and art lessons is a fun way to relax. If I hadn't agreed to go with my boyfriend, I would have already dragged my girlfriends there!

I'm excited to make my trip to The Hive and I couldn't help but share. For more information about the studio, visit their website, www.thehive305.com or like them on Facebook.

3 comments:

  1. What a great business concept! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this would be a fun date! I had no idea there was a place like this here. My sister told me about painting classes where you are taught lessons on how to paint one painting (that the whole class paints) and you can bring your own food and drinks but she lives in Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like so much fun! I have always wanted to try painting something, but like your boyfriend, I'm not really confident in my ability so spending a lot of money on supplies just to try it out isn't very appealing. However, this seems like a great way to try things out!

    ReplyDelete